Friday, December 4, 2009

My Palin Encounter




What first struck me about Sarah Palin is that she is a tiny woman. Slim and athletic but also small in stature. There is something about her though, that makes her seem bigger than life. A kind of radiant energy that draws you in, that kind of welcomes you.

I had waited all afternoon the day before and all night in freezing temperatures with about 400 of my newest friends just to get a 10 or 15 second audience with the latest star on the GOP circuit and to get my two copies of "Going Rogue" signed.

The wait or buildup to Sarah's arrival was exciting. Folks from all over the country assembled in the Borders parking lot.

Nichole, drove in from Kansas to meet her cousin, Stephanie who flew in from Utah to join us in Springfield. Nichole and Stephanie were both passionate and well informed. They had numerous media interviews throughout the event. They were great! Joel and his father, Bob, came up from Arkansas. Bob had some information to pass on to Sarah and he and Joel were first in line. Linda and I camped out side by side. Linda, a precious Godly woman whose joy and conviction was a testimony to everyone around her.

Jim and Deb drove their daughter, Mindy from Kansas City to Springfield. Mindy had asked for "Going Rogue" for Christmas. They did one better and accompanied her to the book signing. They allowed me to join them for dinner along with Deb's sister Lori. They were so sweet and friendly.

All night long folks arrived and a tent city began to emerge in the parking lot. They sat around fire pits (until the security guards shut them down) and enjoyed each others fellowship like a big winter camping trip. It was peaceful and although it was freezing cold no one complained. We were all of one kindred spirit.

TGI Fridays, which was next door allowed us all to use their restrooms until they closed at 1:30am. They even brought us coffee and hot chocolate several times throughout the night. Great food, great folks! One of the supporters worked at Beautyfirst a few doors down, she graciously unlocked the doors of her business to allow us to use their restrooms. The manager of Borders, Gary Selby , came in at 5:00am, even though the store did not open until 7:00am. He opened their doors early to allow us to use their restroom and to warm up. He was very concerned about our welfare and I can't say enough about his kindness. I love living in the Ozarks!! People here are so nice!!

At seven a.m., they allowed the first 100 or so of us in to wait in line. It was in the warm bookstore that the fatigue finally hit us. Some even fell asleep on the floor but when Sarah finally arrived, we were all at attention.

I was among the first to get my books signed. My exchange with Sarah Palin went like this:

ME: Hi Sarah! We are praying for you.
SARAH PALIN: Thank you for that covering. What is your name?
(extending her hand to me)
ME: I'm Patty.
(accepting her hand. She has a very firm handshake.)
SARAH PALIN: Are you from around here?
ME: Yes, I live near here.
SARAH PALIN: This is a beautiful place.
ME: It really is a wonderful place to live.
SARAH PALIN: Thank you for coming
ME: Thank you.

I walked away, wishing I had used my 10 seconds to say something more profound, when a hand was thrust in my direction. "Hi, I'm Sarah's Dad," I shook his hand and looked up into the friendly, smiling face of Chuck Heath. I told him I was happy to meet him. I wanted to say that he had raised a remarkable daughter but another enthusiastic hand was offered. "And I'm aunt Katie!," the very attractive woman said. I told her it was nice to meet her and I meant it.

As I rounded the corner, I joined the giddy group that made it through the line. They excitedly related their conversations with Sarah like they had just met a rock star. As I exited the bookstore, I gave thumbs up to those still in line outside as it was evident that they were going to get their books signed. I was happy to see that my friend, Robbie was close to the entrance. That meant she would get in, too.

I found out later that Sarah stayed more than one hour later than expected and signed every one's books.

I thanked God as I drove home for the new friends I had met, and for Sarah Palin and her family. I prayed for their safety. I thought especially about the brief exchange I shared with Sarah Palin. I thought it curious that she asked my name. I heard she asks everyone for their name. It isn't like she'll ever see me again. If I ever do get a chance to see her, she will not remember me, "Patty, from the book signing, right?". Why would she bother? Just to move along a conversation with a awe struck supporter? Just to be nice?

It then hit me, like a great secret revealed. By asking my name, Sarah Palin conveyed to me that she saw me as a person, a person whose name mattered, not merely a number or a voter or a fan. A God created individual who was important in the grander scheme of things.

This is the magic of Sarah Palin. Think I am reading too much into her question?
Well, I guess you had to be there...

No comments:

Post a Comment